GUIDELINES FOR BRANCH FUNDRAISING ACTIVITIES
Adopted by the AAUW Board of Directors, June 1974; revised June 1983, October 1983, June 1986, May 1989, February 1993, February 2004, February 2007, July 2009
1. The Board of Directors of AAUW recommends that membership dues be set at a level which will cover normal operating expenses of the branch.
2. Branches are cautioned against raising funds to support projects of other organizations or those supported mainly by tax money. AAUW may be in sympathy with such projects and may support them in non-financial ways, but the financial and human resources of most branches are not sufficient to accommodate all potential “worthy causes.” Since branch members as individuals give to the support of local and national charitable organizations, branches are advised against using branch funds for contributions to such charitable organizations.
3. Fundraising activities should be limited to those undertaken in support of AAUW and the AAUW Action Fund, and when appropriate, to branch-sponsored public and community service projects.
4. AAUW recognizes and encourages states and branch to support women and girls on issues in their local communities and states, commensurate with AAUW’s mission and vision. It is important to participate at these levels to generate local enthusiasm, visibility, promotion of AAUW as a significant organization, as a possible means to recruit members. This participation can be in the form of coalitions, partnerships, donations, or other means. Similarly, international support to women and girls is encouraged. AAUW guidance in these dealings is as follows:
All such efforts should directly relate to implementation of AAUW’s mission: AAUW advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, and research.
External efforts are in addition to priority support of AAUW Funds.
5. Any fundraising undertaken by a branch should be carefully reviewed in relation to tax laws.
a. Funds raised for any program of AAUW are tax-deductible for the donors.
b. Branch fundraising activities for the AAUW Action Fund are not tax-deductible.
6. Interest earned on revenue from money raised for AAUW must go toward the branch’s annual contribution to the 501(c)(3). If the funds are raised for a local project, they should be kept in a separate savings account