Highlights and Notes from the President
AAUW Tillamook, President
Andrea Goss is President from 2017-2019
American Association of University Women (AAUW) is a nationwide network of more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 branches, and 800 college/university institution partners. For over 130 years, AAUW members examine and take positions on fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political. Our commitment and mission are reflected in all aspects of our work.
Happy 80th Anniversary to us!! Tillamook AAUW has enjoyed 80 Years of friendships, lifelong learning, educational equity and social action.
We hold branch meetings on the second Thursday of the month, 12:00-1:00, at the new local Pacific Restaurant. We encourage members (and guests) to arrive a half hour early to order lunch so that we can begin our meeting promptly at 12:00 without interruptions. The only month we will NOT have our meeting on the second Thursday is October. Please stay in contact to see the date change for that month.
At our monthly meetings, we have powerful speakers on relevant topics: Equal Pay, Following the Signs, Public Policy, Sharing our Love, Human Trafficking, and so much more. The public is welcome to attend our meetings.
We have many ongoing projects that we sponsor each year, as well as additional ones we add to the calendar.
- Each Spring we have our annual fundraiser, Wine and Chocolate Affair, at which we raise $5,000-$8,000 for scholarships for local women and girls.
- Early each calendar year we celebrate STEM girls nominated from the three local high schools in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. We have a luncheon and invite families, teachers, sponsors and the amazing girls we’re celebrating.
- Our Tech Trek program is a weeklong overnight STEM camp for 8th grade girls, held at the 4-H dorm in Tillamook. Includes core classes and hands-on workshops. We expose these girls to female role models and diverse STEM careers.
- Each February we conduct a Tillamook Countywide Spelling Bee for all ages.
- WINGS – we are investigating the possibility of beginning a WINGS (Women Interested in Going to School) program with Tillamook Bay Community College. This one-day seminar encourages women of all ages, all walks of life, and all stages of education to return to school.
- From time to time we host, or co-host, public forums on issues that we believe the public ought to be aware: affordable housing; sexual harassment and abuse; human trafficking; ballot measure issues; candidates.
We have several structured activities each month, as well as more spontaneous events. There is so much happening in Tillamook and surrounding area.
- Cultural outings
- Book clubs
- Holiday gatherings
- Monthly spontaneous events
Please join us anytime! For more information on specific events or what we do, please feel free to call Andrea Goss at 503-812-8959 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.